Saturday, November 11, 2017

Strawberries Three


A quick-ish study of three strawberries. Trying to get back in-the-saddle, so to speak with still life.

I'm planning to do a series of larger paintings featuring strawberries for an upcoming show. I decided on strawberries basically because I enjoy painting them so much. They are such a gorgeous luscious fruit to paint. Those seeds are kind-of tricky though. You don't need to paint them all in - just indicating them is enough, but you can't just paint them in random locations either. They actually have a very regular geometric spacing so you do have to observe their location somewhat.

(8 x 8 inches)
20 x 20cm approx
Oil on Gessobord




Before painting this I referred back to my notebook from when I'd painted strawberries before. I used to print out a little picture of what I'd painted, glue it in my notebook and jot down notes about it. Sometimes I'd just write down the colours I had used and other times going into more detail about design/ sketching ideas etc. Haven't done this in a while but definitely going to go back to doing this. I guess that's the purpose of the blog as well, but sometimes it's easier just to pick up a pen and sketch and jot things down.












No comments:

Post a Comment