Sunday, October 16, 2016

Stripes, spots, spoons and spatulas.



A bit about brushes...

I have tried a variety of brands of brushes. I started out painting with Silver Briston and Princeton brushes, but I found both brands a little too stiff - I found I was removing almost as much paint as I was putting on. I stopped using these brands when I discovered Robert Simmons Titanium brushes which are much softer and I preferred the strokes I was getting with the paint when using them. Also they are great quality; they don't lose hairs and are great for clean-up.
However, while the Titanium brushes are great for loose strokes, they are not so great for lines or fine detail.
To paint the lines in this painting I reverted back to one of my Princeton brushes. I realised they are fantastic for painting hard edges! Now I don't like too many hard edges in my paintings, but this one required it. Don't ask me how to paint in straight lines because I haven't found a perfect answer. I'm sure there is a secret to it but all I can say is it takes practice and a bit of confidence with your brush.
I also recently purchased some angled Rosemary and Co brushes from the UK - which are great for getting into the little corners.

The painting...'stripes, spots, spoons and spatulas!'... it was only after I finished the painting that I realised it could have this rhythmic title.
I'm not sure how long this painting took, since I had to keep leaving it in stages to go to drop my son off at various soccer matches, but I think it was about 6 or 7 hours painting time and maybe an hour or so settling on the composition first. The still life is set up on my old vintage kitchen dresser.
I found that by dragging the edge of my brush through the paint I could create a few hints of the grain in the old painted wooden boards at the back of the dresser.


(10 x 10 inches)
25.4 x 25.4 cm
Oil on Gessobord



Not for sale





No comments:

Post a Comment