Thursday, January 4, 2018

Looking Up

Daily Painting Challenge - Day 4

I was listening to a podcast yesterday of an interview by one of my favourite artists; Julian Merrow Smith. He said artists spend a lot of their time learning what NOT to do. This painting is a classic example of that. I overworked it and got the values wrong.
But this is a challenge after all - if it was all easy it wouldn't be a challenge I guess. If it weren't for the 31 day challenge I wouldn't even be posting this one. I think I have to give gerberas another go though.
Next, rather than setting up a still life as such, I might just concentrate on painting some oil sketches of the flower heads on their own, just on paper to see if I can get to grips with how to tackle them.

In other news, here in New York state we have a freezing cold 'bomb cyclone' /blizzard going on. Glad to be inside.

(8 x 8 inches)
20 x 20cm approx
Oil on Gessobord



No comments:

Post a Comment