Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Avocado blues




For this painting I decided to try out this unconventional composition: plate positioned dead center. It was a bit of an experiment and it works better than I expected. Sometimes you don't really know how something is going to look until you have painted it. I kinda like it! I might do some more of these.
One thing I'm focusing hard with in these paintings is getting my darks- dark enough. I'm always a bit cautious adding really dark shadows as I don't want to muddy my paintings or get the shadow colour wrong. I'm learning to be more confident with that.
I also discovered that avocados are also great subject matter. You have to paint them fast though. They go brown very quickly.

This is day 14 in the September '30 paintings in 30 days challenge'.
(6 x 6 inches)
15 x 15cm
Oil on Gessobord

This painting is available.




2 comments: