Thursday, September 29, 2016

Magenta Rose

Painting a close up of this rose gave me no end of trouble.

I painted at least 3 versions before wiping them. In the end I decided to sleep on it and start afresh the next day. The next morning I realised I had been approaching the deep shadows wrong.
I decided to get a little more scientific about it and try mixing my tubes of permanent rose, quinacridone magenta and alizarin crimson in various combinations with other colours to see what worked best and tested them on paper first. I'm going to do this more often. Sometimes it's best to test things out BEFORE the paint hits the canvas.
Another point - with magenta I think you have to be particularly careful with the amount of white you add. You can very quickly dull what started out as a vivid saturated colour (it's a very fine line).

(6 x 6 inches)
15 x 15cm
Oil on Gessobord

This painting is available

No comments:

Post a Comment